Introducing the iDELP Program
April 3, 2017
Dear IAFC member,
I cordially invite you to become a founding member of the IAFC’s Diversity Executive Leadership Program (iDELP). iDELP is designed to increase fire-service diversity by supporting your fellow fire-service leaders from underrepresented identity groups and others who, like you, are interested in fostering a diverse workforce, all while advancing the leadership ranks of IAFC and the national fire and emergency service.
The need for an increase in diversity in the fire service is highlighted by the following facts:
- Most firefighters are white, male and 25 to 54 years old.
- 19 out of 20 firefighters are men.
- 3 out of 4 EMTs and paramedics are men.
- African Americans represent a high proportion of police officers, but are underrepresented among firefighters and EMTs.
- Hispanic first responders are also underrepresented. (Source: Characteristics of Individuals and Employment Among First Responders, U.S. Department of Labor, Aug. 6, 2015)
The IAFC is looking for 10-15 Fellows to join the two-year program. Participants will focus on the challenges leaders in the fire service face as they relate to inclusiveness and diversity, as well as the impacts they have on the fire and emergency service.
Our goal is to establish a cohort of participants who represent diversity across the fire service. You will have the opportunity to learn from each other, develop solutions to current and emerging issues and share those solutions with the IAFC community, all while acting as leaders and ambassadors of the IAFC.
I strongly encourage you to review the program details and consider completing the iDELP application by no later than April 14, 2017. If you have any questions, do not hesitate to contact me orTim Hopkins.
Fire Chief John D. Sinclair
President and Chairman of the Board